First Presbyterian Church logo

About Us

History

Click here to return to About Us page

On September 9, 1825 a congregation collected at the house of Benjamin Murphy for the purpose of being organized into a church. The first meetings of the Greenville church were held in the Court House, a log cabin at the corner of the public square. In 1850 a substantial brick structure with four immense pillars on the front façade was built where the St. Paul’s Lutheran church is now. It was completed in 1852 at the cost of $1,900. This church was used until the late 1880’s. In 1889 the present church was erected at the cost of $18,000. The church was dedicated on June 1, 1890. The church building has gone through many changes, but the sanctuary, parlor, and Sunday School classes in the old part are basically the same as they were 120 years ago.

The ministers of the Presbyterian Church in Greenville include the following:

Rev. John Ross officiating in 1825 at the first meeting for the church until 1831

Rev. Alexander Gulick 1841-1844

Rev. Badeau 1844-1848

Rev. John A. Weeks 1849-1853

Rev. R. M. McCullough 1854

Rev. Orlando Clark 1857-1859

Rev. D. B. Wycoff 1859 for 6 months and then went to India as a missionary

Rev. C. B. H. Martin 1860-1861

Rev. John W. Drake 1862-1864

At this time a division in the church took place and there were two Presbyterian bodies the “Old School” and the “New School”. Serving the “Old School” included:

Rev. Jamison, Rev. Lyman, Rev. L. E. Jones, Rev. Frank Putnam, and Rev. J. P. Kumler

The “New School” became the United Presbyterian Church during the Civil War Era. Serving the United Presbyterian Church included:

Rev. H. A. Newell 1865-1868

Rev. John S. Gourlay 1868-1871

Rev. J. C. Eastman 1872-1880

Rev. James Crawford 1880-1887

Rev. James P. Hutchison 1887-1890

At this time the church that stands today as First Presbyterian Church in Greenville was built.

Continuing with the list of ministers for First Presbyterian Church includes:

Rev. W. C. Helt 1894-1897

Rev. W. L. Swan 1898-1903

Rev. J. R. Jones 1903-1908

Rev. C. C. McKinney 1908-1917

Rev. Arthur Marbet 1918-1920

Rev. C. L. Plymate 1920-1925

Rev. L. P. McCulloch 1926-1930

Rev. Ralph Jennings 1931-1938

Rev. John Harrington 1939-1945

Rev. Mark Andrews 1946-1948

Rev. James Griffes 1948-1952, left temporarily to serve as chaplain to the military

Rev. Harold E. Huffman 1953-1974

Rev. Ronald Naylor 1974-1979

Rev. David A. Layman 1980-1988

Rev. Dennis Clarke 1988-1995

Rev. John Person 1996-present

Associate Pastors of the church include: Paul Boger 1965-1967, Jocelyn Sheldon 1982-1988, and Christopher Benek 2002-2009.

ArrowIcon BloggerIcon AimIcon DeliciousIcon PaperIcon EtsyIcon FacebookIcon FilmStripIcon FlickrIcon CameraIcon LaunchIcon GooglePlus2Icon GooglePlusIcon HeartIcon InformationIcon InstagramIcon LastfmIcon FrontCameraIcon LinkedInIcon EmailIcon MoneyIcon ItunesIcon MyspaceIcon OpenTableIcon PayPalIcon PencilIcon PersonIcon PhotoIcon PicasaIcon PinterestIcon PodcastIcon RssIcon ShoppingCartIcon SoundCloudIcon StarIcon TableProjectIcon TheCityIcon TumblrIcon Twitter2Icon TwitterIcon TypepadIcon VideoIcon VimeoIcon WordPressIcon YelpIcon YoutubeIcon